Montessori West Christian School
Montessori West Christian School (MWCS) is enhanced by the involvement of our parents. Parents are encouraged to take an active part in their child’s development through parent-teacher conferences and parent education workshops. MWCS has an open door policy; classrooms are video monitored and may be observed from the office at any time. Parents are invited to share with their child’s classmates their particular skills and talents.
It is our firm belief that you are the most important person in your child’s life. The more you know about what happens with your child at school, the more you know about child development and the more you are involved with your child, the greater opportunity for your child to become a well rounded and fulfilled adult.
Therefore, MWCS involves you in all aspects of your child’s education. We do this to a greater degree than most schools because our goals is to help you nurture your child. We are a demanding school because your child deserves an involved parent. We look to share this mission with like-minded parents.
Parent conferences are scheduled with the parents of all children in the fall and spring. In addition to these, parents or teachers may call for a conference as the need arises.
New parent orientation
Parents at MWCS are encouraged to attend a New Parent Orientation at the beginning of the academic year. Child care will be provided.
MWCS has two Parent Workshops during the school year. “Our Montessori Classroom” workshop is presented during the first semester and our “Hands-on” workshop is presented during the second semester. Each class will have an Open House meeting for all parents at the beginning of the academic year.
Books about Montessori
- Montessori: A Modern Approach by Paula Polk Lillard
- The Hidden Hinge by Rosa Covington Packard
- The Secret of Childhood by Maria Montessori
- Dr. Montessori’s Own Handbook by Maria Montessori
- The Discovery of the Child by Maria Montessori
- The Absorbent Mind by Maria Montessori
- The Essential Montessori by E. Hainstock
- The Pink What? A Quick Reference Guide to Montessori
- Materials and Montessori and Your Child – A Primer for Parents by T. Mallory
- Teaching Montessori in the Home by E. Hainstock
- Teaching Montessori in the Home: the School Years by E. Hainstock
- Montessori Today – A Comprehensive Approach to Education from Birth to Adulthood by P.P. Lillard Books
- The First Three Years of Life by Dr. Burton L. White. A guide to physical, emotional, and intellectual growth.
- 101 Alternatives to Nagging, Yelling, and Spanking by The Parenting Resource Group with Dr. Alvin Price and Jay A. Parry
- P.E.T . – Parent Effectiveness Training by Thomas Gordan
- Montessori Play and Learn – A Parent’s Guide – Purposeful Play from Two to Six by Lesley Britton
- Emotional Intelligence by David Goleman
- 365 Ways to Help Your Child Grow by Sheila Ellison and B.A. Barnett