Montessori West Christian School
“Never help a child with a task at which he feels he can succeed.” – Maria Montessori
Located on the west side of Spartanburg, South Carolina, Montessori West Christian School (MWCS) provides a blend of the Montessori philosophy and Christian teaching. MWCS assists children to develop to their maximum potential spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, socially, and physically. We aim to help our students build a positive spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ. Build Character, which is the ability to do what is right. Build Confidence through succeeding at meaningful goals. Build Competence through successfully learning academic skills.
In 1992, Montessori West was built on Highway 29 (now W. H. Abernathy Hwy) to serve parents and children on the west side of Spartanburg. The school began the transition to a Christian Montessori school in 2002. Montessori West Christian School (MWCS) today offers Christian Montessori teaching to approximately 85 preschool children.
Montessori West Christian School’s purpose is to assist children to develop to their maximum potential spiritually, emotionally, intellectually, socially, and physically.
What we hope to achieve in our students:
- Build a positive spiritual relationship with Jesus Christ.
- Build Character, which is the ability to do what is right.
- Build Confidence through succeeding at meaningful goals.
- Build Competence through successfully learning academic skills.
So that our students may:
- Joyfully serve God all their days.
- Successfully complete their formal education and be excited learners the rest of their lives.
- Become leaders with integrity who honor God and contribute to their society.
- Have the skills necessary to achieve their dreams.
We have no formal doctrine or catechism classes. Every day, we recite the Pledge of Allegiance to the flag, sing children and Christian songs, and we pray over our meals and before our work begins.
Each Wednesday morning we have a Bible lesson. We share the positive character traits from our stories. We emphasize the virtues of being brave like David, wise like Solomon, faithful like Daniel. We also share the wonderful news that God loves us and has a wonderful plan for our lives.
The Bible story is continued all week and retold in multiple fashions – everything from reading to acting the story out. We also memorize one scripture each week. Hands-on Bible lessons are part of the academic materials available in the classroom.
One of our Studio classes is a Bible class studio where we share stories that are fun and entertaining and illustrate positive character building virtues, undertake art projects, perform dramas and sing, and conduct science projects that glorify our Creator.
Goals & Objectives
The main objective of Montessori West Christian School (MWCS) is to provide a carefully planned, stimulating environment which will help children develop within themselves the foundational habits, attitudes, skills and ideas which are essential for a lifetime of creative thinking and learning.
The specific goals for children who attend MWCS are:
- Develop a growing spiritual relationship with Jesus.
- Develop a world view consistent with the Christian Bible.
- Develop a life-long love of learning.
- Develop a positive attitude toward school and learning.
- Develop high self-esteem.
- Build habits of concentration for lifelong study skills.
- Develop and foster an abiding curiosity.
- Develop habits of initiative and persistence.
- Foster inner discipline and a sense of order.
- Develop sensory-motor skills in order to sharpen the ability to discriminate and judge.
- Develop socially acceptable behavior.
- Acquire the basic skills necessary for a lifetime of learning.
- Help develop each child’s innate, ultimate potential through high self-expectations.
Montessori West Christian School
8800 Warren H. Abernathy Hwy
Spartanburg, SC 29301
We would like to hear from you. Please send us a message by filling out the form below and we will get back with you shortly.